You will join a team of highly committed staff members engaged in cutting edge work - transforming the lives of people forgotten and dismissed on the West Side of Chicago.
The opportunities listed below are standing opportunities but for a more up-to-date listing of our volunteer opportunities, please go to VolunteerMatch.org and peruse our most recent listings.
- Donation Organizer: Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides free counseling services to one of the most under-served communities in Chicago. Our clientele with substance abuse issues encompass intractable problems like homelessness, unemployment, and previous criminal convictions. We receive generous donations and would like assistance from a volunteer to help sort and manage these contributions.
- Story Teller Mentor: Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides free counseling services to one of the most under-served communities in Chicago. Our clientele with substance abuse issues encompass intractable problems like homelessness, unemployment and previous criminal convictions. We are looking for volunteers who bring compassion, a non-judgmental spirit and a can-do attitude. Upon completion of the substance abuse program, our clients continue to work mightily on the maintenance of their sobriety, often along with overcoming past trauma, abuse, and feelings of guilt. Telling their story and being heard and acknowledged by others is an important part of recovery. Above and Beyond has created a storytelling module in which the clients are therapeutically guided to tell their story which gets recorded and published. We are looking for compassionate mentors who will aid our clients in this important process. Requirements include an open-minded, non-judgmental attitude, compassion, and writing skills.
- Case Manager: Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides free counseling services to one of the most under-served communities in Chicago. Our clientele with substance abuse issues encompass intractable problems like homelessness, unemployment and previous criminal convictions. We are looking for volunteers who bring compassion, a non-judgmental spirit and a can-do attitude. We are looking for a case manager that can provide support and assistance to our clients while they try to make appointments outside the facility.
- LCPC: Above and Beyond is looking for LCPC Counselors, either retired or in-between employers, who would like to give of themselves to help the most neglected members of our species; the homeless, drug and alcohol abusers, and mentally challenged, who want help and cannot get it. We do not charge for our services to them. We are FREE, hence our inability to pay for your volunteer work. We have the most amazing facility in the city as well as a Clinical Protocol that is beyond belief. Among its many diverse, evidence-based and informed groups, are featured: REBT, Rage Reduction, Transgenerational Trauma, Trauma, AA, SMART Recovery, Women (and Men) for Recovery, WRAP, Loneliness, Goals, Purpose and Meaning (Viktor Frankl), Learning to Love Yourself, Mindfullness Relapse Prevention, Yoga, Acupuncture, and many others.
- Volunteer Super Hero(ine): Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides FREE counseling service to the most under-served substance abusing populations in Chicagoland. We are an outpatient, "walk-in", behavioral addiction treatment center whose clients come with companion problems like mental illness, homelessness, unemployment, and previous criminal convictions. Most of them do not know why they exist and have horrid, untrue self-images which we do our best to dispel by helping them uncover their purpose and meaning in life, stop hating on themselves, and begin trying to get rid of their addictions so they can rejoin humanity. They all want this outcome, but have never had the tools that we put into their brain's repertoire.
We have 22+ process groups weekly, with such innovative topics as: Improv Therapy, Yoga, Acupuncture, Sobriety for Seniors, REBT, Rage Reduction, Uncovering Purpose and Meaning, Learning to Love Yourself, Trauma, EFT, and many many more. All of these have therapeutic roots in addiction treatment and we also help find housing and employment. We are looking for humans with hearts, who are interested in giving of their free time (whenever that is) to assist us in sharing their abundance of compassion, non-judgmental attitudes and interactions, and can-do spirits with these people that we love.
This one, particular opportunity is one without definition. It yet has to be designed, because it will be built around the skill sets and spiritual locomotion of the person who has been inspired by what is written here. We can custom design an opportunity that fits who you are and/or who you aspire to become. The bottom line is that you will be giving without any expectation of return and that is where the most profound miracles happen.
- Adult Tutoring (MATH, LITERACY, Etc): The Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides substance abuse and trauma counseling and housing and employment assistance in the West Garfield neighborhood. Many of our clients additionally struggle with the stigma of a previous conviction or addiction that may have interfered with their schooling. Therefore, we are looking for tutors to help clients regain confidence in their mathematical, literacy and other skills they need to successfully obtain their GED. The most important requirements are kindness and a non-judgmental approach in order to calm anxiety and fear. We are trying to offer tutoring sessions both individually or in classroom setting.
Classroom setting are on Fridays from 1-2, or 3-4 and individual tutoring can be flexible! We place client's recovery as a top priority and ask that tutoring sessions are conducted after group (1pm till closing).
- Performers (Singers, Spoken Word Artists, ETC.): Above and Beyond Family Recovery Center provides free drug and alcohol counseling services to one of Chicago's most under-served communities. Clients attend program that teaching them how to cope with their addiction and work towards an abstinence life style while encompassing a hard reduction approach. The client's graduation day is a highly anticipated events that builds confidence and pride. We are looking for volunteers to help make this celebration even more memorable for our clients. We welcome all types of performing arts as long as they hold an empowering messages that inspires clients to continue their hard work.
- Resource Pioneer: Above and beyond's Case manager helps clients who are in need of housing and/or employment assistance. The case manager helps as they journey through the many obstacles they face while searching for housing and employment. The Resource Pioneer would work closely with Above and Beyond's case Manager in locating resources for clients during their housing and employment journey. The most important responsibility that the Resource Pioneer will have is to build a relationship between property owners and the organization.
- Public Resource Liaison: Above and Beyond Family Recovery center provides free counseling service to one of the most under-served communities in Chicago. Our clientele with substance abuse issues encompass intractable problems like homelessness, unemployment, and previous criminal convictions. Clients are not always aware of the public resources they have access to. First and foremost, we are looking for volunteers who bring compassion, a nonjudgmental spirit and a can-do attitude to the position. The Public Resource Liaison would most likely assist clients in signing up for Medicaid and SNAP.
There is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer.
James Doolittle, commander of the raid on Tokyo in WWII.
6 months Winter 2018/2019 | Summer/Fall 2019
6 month intern program will be structured around the student’s schedule and will focus on the core competencies required for the degree. We have a wide variety of opportunities available which can fit just about any course of study. Internships that run 8 months, 12 months and up to two years are available for students that are looking for an adventure that will follow a full recuperation cycle from use to successful reintegration as a contributing member of society.
We are a DASA approved site for training CADC interns in their 150 or 300 hours of required internship, and able to provide the minimum (and probably more) of 10 hours in each of the 12 core functions: Screening, Intake, Orientation, Assessment, Treatment Planning, Counseling, Case Management, Crisis Intervention, Client Education, Referral, Report and Record Keeping, and Consultation with other professionals in regard to Client Treatment/Services.
How to Apply
Applying for any of these opportunities is as easy as filling out the very simple form at the bottom of this page (see Enroll Today below). We will be back to your shortly but if you don’t hear from us within 24 hours please call us at 773.940.2960 and bug us!
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I can’t make it in regularly?
No problem. We’ll work around your schedule and we have infinite patience.
Are these people dangerous? Is it safe to be there?
We feel it’s safe. You will have to judge for yourself but our safety protocols have yet to be used due to lack of need.
Is it fun?
It’s a BALL! We love it and encourage you to come down and experience it yourself!